Monday, August 4, 2014

Sunflowers!!

I am kicking booty now! Over the summer I started creating a nonfiction reader about sunflowers.


 In first grade we do a unit about plants and focus on sunflowers. It's a really fun unit that I even add a small mini unit on Vincent Van Gogh because he painted sunflowers.  Wait until we do this unit and you are going to love it...to be continued in September. I think I got "squirreled" a little. Back to what I wanted to talk about. While at the Teachers Pay Teachers conference I got to sit on Jennifer White (from First Grade Blue Skies http://firstgradeblueskies.blogspot.com/ ) lecture. Well it wasn't really a lecture more of an inspirational and encouraging hour of information. She was talking about books that she had made that were for Close Reading. I watched the other teachers nodding at her and praising what great Close Reading books she had created while I was screaming in my head....What is Close Reading???  I'm not kidding any of you who may already know about it...I had never heard of it. So I couldn't continue to feel like the worse and least prepared teacher in the room...I researched for 2 weeks and taught myself all about it.  Wow...I'm a bit over winded today (and anxious since I just admitted my failure on close reading). How does this relate to the nonfiction reader I was talking about in the beginning? Well, I finished the nonfiction reader about sunflowers and even added a few close reading activities at the end of the book to do whole class.  Since we do sunflowers at the beginning of the year I wanted to keep the activities simple.  The main point of this post (very close reading)....I finished the nonfiction reader about sunflowers with some close activities!  Hurray for sunflowers! I can't wait to use it in the classroom.  Check it out at my store and don't forget the sale going on today and tomorrow!!



http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Sunflowers-Nonfiction-Close-Reading-1372187


No comments:

Post a Comment